I've just started using the rating facility in iTunes.
Having only 5 stars to dish out makes it hard to differentiate levels of like or dislike when it comes to music, but I am going to have a go. And before you say it, yes I know you can give half stars or even percent ratings, but they are no good for smart playlists etc, so I won't bother.
So here is my scheme (for my later reference as much as for yours):
- 0 stars - I haven't got around to rating this one.
- 1 stars - I would have deleted this song from my library, but I want to keep it for completeness' sake (eg as part of a soundtrack)
- 2 stars - I can handle listening to this song every now and then
- 3 stars - I like this song.
- 4 stars - I really like this song. It is perhaps one of my favourites from one of my favourite bands or just a standout song on its own.
- 5 stars - You should like this song, and I am willing to fight you to convince you of it. I could listen to this song over and over again all day.
PS I'm only using iTunes until Amarok releases its Mac OS X port, so perhaps I am wasting my time anyway!