The past week has seen a firestorm in a part of the net that I regularly lurk around. I didn't even notice it happening and only know those involved by name and reputation. So I am not pretending to know any details or to pass any sort of judgment on any of the players.
The fallout is interesting though. One of the players is relatively well known in the scene. It seems that someone upset him. A great deal, if this last twitter post is anything to go by:
And to judge by the link from the twitter profile, he was serious
I know children who would have trouble topping a dummy spit like that.
Gotta say, I understand the urge to pick up my marbles and go home. But surely a more sensible (not to say mature) response would have been to:
- turn off comments on my blog (leaving the useful information there for those not involved in annoying me in the first place)
- protect my tweets (perhaps blocking certain followers at the same time)
- unsubscribing from offending RSS feeds
- never going back to certain forums
- Say nothing. Nothing at all.
All of which would at least leave the door open for a gracious return to the fold (if desired) once the fires have all died down. Rather that using the fire to burn all of his bridges.